Tips for Preserving Foods
As fruits and vegetables are ripe and harvested in large quantities, it is necessary to think about how to store and cure food. The most common method is preserving foods.
Of course there is numerous and mostly cheap tinned food in your local supermarket. But, you can save a lot of money if you have your own garden or if you buy fruits and vegetables in large quantities when the prices are low. In addition, you can put your own stamp on the preserved food by combining ingredients or adding herbs and spices.
Here are some basic tips to observe for preserving foods. If you follow these instructions, nothing should go wrong.
General tips for preserving foods
- only use fruits and vegetables with a solid structure
- only use fresh fruits and vegetables, always on the day of harvest (particularly in the morning)
- use special preserving jars that are not used with other foods (especially fatty foods)
- before preserving, deep clean the jar with hot water and dish soap, rinse with clear water and let it dry on a cloth
- take care of a clean and hygienic kitchen table
- put the jars on a damp cloth when filling them with the hot content, so that the glass does not break
- label the jar with the ingredients and especially the date of manufacture
- store the preserved food in a dry, cool place without direct sunlight
Books on Amazon
- Complete Guide to Home Canning and Preserving
- Canning & Preserving for Dummies
- Preserving Summer's Bounty: A Quick and Easy Guide
- Complete Book of Home Preserving